In this week’s headlines, an ambulance is transformed into a mobile shelter for people experiencing homelessness, the impacts of Manitoba’s outdated surrogacy laws are examined, Siloam Mission introduces its new CEO, and more.
Missing Person Alert
RCMP are asking for help finding a missing 21-year-old Selkirk woman.
Shareen Traverse is considered a vulnerable person. Police said they were notified Tuesday that she was missing.
Traverse is described as indigenous, 5-foot-7, 217 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes.
Anyone with information should call Selkirk RCMP at 204-482-1222, Manitoba Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or text “TIPMAN” and your message to CRIMES(274637).
Poverty & Community Outreach
- Salvation Army converts an ambulance into a new mobile shelter: CBC, Winnipeg Free Press
- Winnipeg Foundation biggest year ever: CBC, Winnipeg Free Press
- Income assistance rally calls on the province to boost employment and income assistance rates: CBC
- Meet Siloam Mission’s new CEO! CBC, Winnipeg Free Press
- Winnipeggers conducted never-ending search for missing individuals in 2016: CBC
- Winnipeg’s inner city a model of reconciliation: Winnipeg Free Press
- Together, society can tackle the forces of division: Winnipeg Free Press
- Order of Manitoba nominations close Jan. 31st!: Winnipeg Free Press
- Child safety cases a top priority: Winnipeg Free Press
Refugees & Race
- Refugees were frostbitten after walking to Manitoba border: CBC, Winnipeg Free Press
- Asylum seekers entering Canada illegally at Emerson border: CBC
- Syrian refugees help fellow newcomers: Winnipeg Free Press
- Bear Clan Patrol continues to sweep the nation!: CBC
- Native Women’s Association of Canada criticizes the MMIW inquiry: CBC
- First Nations Chiefs Take Legal Action Over Pipeline Replacement: Winnipeg Free Press
- Feds accused of failing to push reconciliation: Winnipeg Free Press
- Inquiry wants help from family and friends of missing and murdered indigenous women: Winnipeg Free Press
- Giving a voice to Manitoba’s first nations: Winnipeg Free Press
- Manitoba’s outdated surrogacy laws give the rights to the surrogate and not the biological parents: CBC
- A hate crime aimed at a Jewish woman occurred in Wolseley last weekend: Winnipeg Free Press, Winnipeg Free Press
- Manitoba listed as most optimistic province for 2017: Winnipeg Free Press