Presents… a new master list of organizations!
We’re excited to announce our site now features a master list of organizations working in Winnipeg’s social justice sector! This list is sortable by category so that you can quickly learn about the organizations working in the areas that interest you! Just click on the organization’s name and you’ll be able to read a bit about them, get links to all of their social media profiles, and more! We hope that this feature will help increase awareness for organizations, as there are so many groups doing great things! We’d love to hear what you think – and make sure to let us know if we’ve missed any groups! 🙂
Missing Person Alert
UPDATE: Shareen Traverse has been found.
Ontario Provincial Police say they’re looking for a missing 15 year-old boy in Kenora, Ont. who hasn’t been seen since Wednesday.
In a written release issued Friday morning, police said Migisii Redsky was last seen Wednesday morning as he was going to school.
Police said the boy was reported missing Thursday, around 5:00 p.m.
Redsky is described as an Indigenous male, five foot eight inches tall and weighing 150 pounds with a slim build. He was last observed wearing a black jacket, jeans and black Timberland shoes, according to the OPP.
Anyone who has seen him, or who has information, is being asked to contact the Kenora OPP at (807) 548-5534 or 1-888-310-1122.
Poverty & Community Outreach
- Cheer Board Short $75,000 in 2016 Drive: Winnipeg Free Press
- Coverage on SheDay: Winnipeg Free Press
- Doors open at new affordable housing complex in North Point Douglas: CBC, Winnipeg Free Press
- Campaign to support founder of Winnipeg Folk Festival raised more than $28K in 2 days: CBC, Winnipeg Free Press
- Downtown Winnipeggers working it out without a major grocery store: Survey: CBC
- Winnipeg shelter had to turn away about 20 people on coldest night of winter yet: CBC
- Man who used to be homeless thankful to be off streets during biting cold: CBC
- Colitis isn’t going to keep him down: Winnipeg Free Press
Refugees & Race
- Refugees Crossing at Emerson Border: CBC
- St Boniface Councillor Speaks out Over Xenophobic Image on Truck: Winnipeg Free Press
- Canadian Campuses see an Alarming Rise in Right-Wing Populism: CBC
- Winnipeg Restaurance Serves up Opportunities for Refugees: CBC
- Frostbitten refugee will lose fingers, toe after 7-hour trek to cross U.S.-Canada border: CBC, Winnipeg Free Press
- Ghanaian Community Comes Together to Support Frostbitten Refugee Claimants:CBC
- FAQ: How refugee claimants seek asylum in Canada: CBC
- Reconciliation more than land acknowledgements, Indigenous groups say: CBC
- New book aims to teach children about painful history of residential schools: CBC
- AMC filing to stop Enbridge Line 3 in its tracks: CBC
- Indigenous Documentary “Colonization Road” (Which Features Shoal Lake 40 FN) Comes to CBC Firsthand: CBC
- Nelson out, Daniels in as head of Southern Chiefs Organization: Winnipeg Free Press
- National #MMIW inquiry opens the door to hearing testimony from Indigenous men and boys: APTN
- Court Case Against Accused Tina Fontaine Killer Set to Begin: Winnipeg Free Press
- 27 delay motions filed for criminal cases in Manitoba: CBC
- Winnipeg Oblate priest charged with historic sexual assault: CBC
- Widow of former soldier shot by police granted standing at inquest: CBC
- Surveillance video appears to show cabbie throwing woman from car: APTN
- NDP MLA Mohinder Saran Is offered a return to caucus after being accused of sexual harassment: CBC, Winnipeg Free Press, Winnipeg Free Press
- Reconciliation process for MLA accused of sexual harassment angers advocates: CBC
- Province Increases Number of Doctors to Aid in the Assisted Dying Program: CBC, Winnipeg Free Press
- Democracy Watch Calls on Pallister to Show Proof or Work: Winnipeg Free Press
- Local Somalis Cheer Fellow Refugee’s Historic Role: Winnipeg Free Press
- City of Winnipeg paid travel expenses for broadcaster: CBC
- CMHR chair one of 170 vacancies Liberals scramble to fill: Winnipeg Free Press
- Ensuring the stories of the Inuit are preserved in the new Inuit Gallery: Winnipeg Free Press
- St. Boniface man launches petition to save bilingual QuickCare clinic: CBC
Disability & Accessibility
- Blind Winnipeg Man Desperate for An End to Bedbug Infestation: CBC
- Disability-rights group finds strengths, weaknesses in province’s accessible employment plan: CBC
- Winnipeg gets its first accessible stretch limo come June: CBC
- Handi-Transit users meet to discuss new system: CBC
- Manitoba’s history is rich in acts of fighting for what is right: Winnipeg Free Press