Teaching Sexuality within the Provincial Curriculum – Summer Institute
This specialized, two day Training Institute will prepare teachers responsible for the Grade 7, 9 and 10 human sexuality curricular learning outcomes to deliver comprehensive, effective and culturally safe sexuality education with students. Teachers and school staff will have the opportunity to apply tools, games and activities used in the training that are directly transferable to the classroom. Updated resources and supplemental materials will also be provided. Participants are asked to bring their copy of the Human Sexuality Resource for review (Available online here).
The following topics will be covered:
- Cultural & Social Aspects of Sexuality
- Puberty and Sexual Development
- Sexual and Reproductive Health
- Educational Approaches to STIs, Birth Control, Safer Sexual Practices
- Diversity in Human Sexuality: Sex, Gender and Sexual Orientation
- Adolescent Identity Development and Healthy Sexuality
- Curriculum Review and Application of Activities to Lessons
- New Activities and Games for Teaching and Learning
- Resource Sharing and Knowledge Exchange
- Contemporary Influences: Social and other forms of Media
- Resources and Referrals (Provided on a flash drive for participants to use in their work)
IDEAL FOR: Grade 7, 9, and 10 Teachers who are responsible for the Human Sexuality Components of the MB Curriculum, Guidance Counsellors, School Social Workers, other school staff, Public Health Nurses who work in schools.
CERTIFICATION: Participants will receive a certificate of completion worth 12.0 hours that can be applied to Continuing Competency Programs for various professional regulating bodies.
COST: $100.00 for both days. SERC is committed to supporting sexuality education for students. As such, the fee for this training institute has been subsidized to promote accessibility. Includes snacks, coffee/tea, and lunches. Street parking available. Please indicate dietary needs on registration form. Registration will be confirmed when payment is received. Click on the link above to register now and pay online. To pay by cheque, you can request an invoice by downloading the form HERE and emailing it to [email protected]. Please note, requesting an invoice does not guarantee your spot. Upon receipt of payment, you will be issued a special code to complete your registration. Once this process is complete, your registration will be confirmed.